Elio IAV Engine Pictures

For technical and general questions and discussions related to the 2014 Elio

Re: Elio IAV Engine Picture

Postby ElioJay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Posted 08/23/2013 - Elio Motors Hi Preston, According to IAV the engine design will run on up to 30% ethanol. Subsequent models of Elios will be considered for alternative fuels!
Let's Go Eliooooooooo!!!!
"Silicon Valley" CA, U.S.A.
ElioJay
Site Admin

Re: Elio IAV Engine Pictures

Postby ElioJay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Let's Go Eliooooooooo!!!!
"Silicon Valley" CA, U.S.A.
ElioJay
Site Admin

Postby DemonDrew » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:37 pm

ElioJay wrote:Posted 08/23/2013 - Elio Motors Hi Preston, According to IAV the engine design will run on up to 30% ethanol. Subsequent models of Elios will be considered for alternative fuels!

Regarding alternative fuels, I had asked on the FB page if perhaps a TDI might be considered at some point. The response was that in the future other power plants would be considered.

Honeslty, I really think that if they could put a 70 - 100hp TDI into the car, you would still get 60 - 84mpg, but have a motor that is much more powerful, fuel efficient, and longer lasting. I hope that at some point serious consideration is given to a TDI because that would be awesome. I know the U.S. seems to be allergic to diesel in everything but industrial or commercial use, but Europe has been successfully using diesels in cars for years now, which great MPG results, and I think its high time we start seeing some serious effort put into marketing a consumer diesel engine for small cars in the U.S. VW and Mercedes have already started importing their cars with diesel motors, and Im hoping that the American manufacturers will get into the mix here before too long. I hope Elio Motors is one of those companies that gets into it.

Just my .02
DemonDrew

Postby rogwild » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:35 pm

rogwild

Postby DemonDrew » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 pm

rogwild wrote:You may get your wish.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/23/us-d ... -for-2014/

I really hope it works out the way that article says. One of the comments to that article though underscores just how little the average U.S. consumer understands about how economical and environmentally friendly diesel can be:

"Still not green in the slightest"

The methods used to make electric car batteries are not green, and the disposal of those batteries once they burn out, and they will eventually burn out (its not if but when), is an even dirtier deed. Hybrid cars supposedly offer the best of both worlds, but the problem is that it isn't any cleaner to manufacture an electric motor than it is to manufacture a gas motor, and with all the added weight from having two motors in one car you could just put a slightly more powerful motor in it and basically get the same effect. On top of that, neither of those kinds of vehicles motors will last as long as a diesel motor will. Its in how they are engineered. Gas motors, and electric motors, don't have to handle the compression load that diesel motors do, and they aren't built up for it.

Diesel motors are built to handle high compression, they have heavier components that last longer and can take more abuse than a gasoline engine. And with diesels being generally so heavily built up they can take turbos without the need to add stronger components to handle the higher compression because the motor is already designed to handle it. By the time you will have replaced two hybrid vehicles, a diesel powered vehicle will still be running strong. Add to that modern diesels are more user friendly than diesels of old (not needing to warm up in the same way as the older diesels did, and they basically have the throttle response of a car), and are about 30 - 40% more fuel efficient than a gasoline engine, I don't see how you could get much greener.
DemonDrew

Postby prheitz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 pm

ElioJay wrote:Got this reply to my "where are the fuel injectors" question:

If you look closely at the two pictures of the engine, you will see three small holes between the head and the intake tubes. Those are the ports where the fuel injectors will be inserted.
prheitz

Postby prheitz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 pm

And for Dmac Can I assume it has hydraulic lifters, or will I need to check valve clearance?

The spec sheet says it uses shims to maintain valve clearance. This is more reliable than hydraulic lifters, and is the standard of higher revving engines such as used in motorcycles. They generally have a long service interval and are virtually trouble free.
prheitz

Postby Kuda27 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:53 am

Will the production model have rear window visibility?
Ol'2951: Retro Wrap,Leather,Glass&Sun,Auto,BlueTooth,Tilt/Cruz,Turbo,Tuned to Scoot!!! :)
Kuda27

Postby lt1 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Wrong thread, but welcome to the forum.

Please explain how a rear window would provide any increased visibility.

How would you see past the rear seatback, which goes all the way to the ceiling?
How would you see past the rear passenger, who sits in the middle of the vehicle, which is only one passenger wide?
Where would you put an inside rear-view mirror to enable a centrally-positioned driver to see past his own head and seatback?

The only possible benefit of a rear window would be for backing up, and then only if there were no rear passenger or cargo space. The side-view mirrors will give excellent rear visibility coverage. There might be a small argument for a rear window on a tadpole trike with side-by-side seating, but there is none for a tadpole trike with tandem seating.

Hope that helps.
lt1

Postby MeeLee1980 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:40 pm

DemonDrew wrote:
rogwild wrote:You may get your wish.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/23/us-d ... -for-2014/

The methods used to make electric car batteries are not green, and the disposal of those batteries once they burn out, and they will eventually burn out (its not if but when), is an even dirtier deed.

Not really so.
Lithium can be easily recycled from batteries, and has about an 80+% efficiency; some companies even say they can recycle 90% of the battery, and for adding 10% of new lithium, they can create a 100% new battery, without memory effect like you'd expect a recycled battery should have.
MeeLee1980

PreviousNext

Return to Elio Discussions