How Many Elios do you think will be made in year one?

For technical and general questions and discussions related to the 2014 Elio

Re: How Many Elios do you think will be made in year one?

Postby lt1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:41 am

We're a bit OT here, but there is almost no motorcycle technology going into the Elio. Elio's stated, though not widely publicized plans were to have an Elio factory trained tech at every Midas location that would be servicing Elio's. One would suppose that there might be some Midas stores that had no tech, but the goals was to have nationwide coverage at the time of rollout. The official announcement should be getting close.
lt1

Postby Bisbee Kid » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:57 am

lt1 wrote:We're a bit OT here, but there is almost no motorcycle technology going into the Elio. Elio's stated, though not widely publicized plans were to have an Elio factory trained tech at every Midas location that would be servicing Elio's. One would suppose that there might be some Midas stores that had no tech, but the goals was to have nationwide coverage at the time of rollout. The official announcement should be getting close.

True, may be majority of off the shelf items except for a new engine that doesn't have any reference history, not sure if the trans is a completely off the shelf unit, wiring schematics, suspension and other information should be able to download to the repair facility easy enough. I would still like to see what type of capital investment the repair shop would need to be a service center. Lifting the Elio, setting the alignment are 2 items that I haven't seen addressed yet. We just had a new Hunter alignment system put in at our dealership & it was a good $60k for the new rack and all the computer set up & unfortunately there would be no way to put the Elio on the rack. Potholes in many areas of the country will take their toll. Early service issues will take time since being a new product but in time will go quicker and smoother. Just some of the items that I am sure keep the staff at Elio will be dealing with. I hope to see the announcement soon for Midas.
Bisbee Kid

Postby fullcircle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 am

where's the winshield wiper?
fullcircle

Postby lt1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 am

fullcircle wrote:where's the winshield wiper?

The same place as the ABS, a/c, stereo, opening right window, etc. On the drawing board. They wanted to get the mule out in front of the public, rather than waiting for a pre-production prototype.
lt1

Postby RussNelson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Bisbee Kid wrote:how to transport it from the factory will be another challenge. The regular motor carriers will not be able to since there is no standardized center beam in a large volume automotive transporter and flat bed carriers are very expensive.

How many 2014s can you fit inside a container? You can ship a container anywhere, by ship, by rail, or by motor freight.
RussNelson

Postby Cranky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 pm

The first year will be getting the engineering levels stabilized and the manufacturing line smoothed out.

Year 2, Katy bar the door! This thing will sell millions! If they do go public, do yourself a favor and buy some stock!

The aftermarket add-ons and pretty stuff will flow in. I emailed them right off and said "add a smiley face to the grill"!
Their reply was there were looking at some add-ons. If you look at the size of the body, they make care carriers about the size of the Elio body that would fix long trip storage. You could add a trailer hitch to tow a motorcycle trailer. The ideas are endless.

You have 2 major markets, commuters and old motor cycle riders that are aging out of 2 wheels. With it being classified as a scoot, HOV and car pool lanes are OURS!!! GBG Watching with GREAT interest! Let the good times roll!
Cranky

Postby dtpetty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Bisbee Kid wrote: (putting the Elio on the lift will not happen easily) so the technician will have to crawl which will not make him enthusiastic to service it,

...all say it's way too under powered (3 of the 4 are in the 20's) myself and the eldest tech (in his 50's) are not worried about power

That is where a motorcycle shop may be a much better choice for service but it remains to be seen. It will take a plan of action as unique as the Elio,

...since there is no standardized center beam in a large volume automotive transporter and flat bed carriers are very expensive.

Many interesting things to think about in your post. I'll comment on these 4:

It would seem that one could jack/lift the front wheels only for most work. Zero overhang in behind rear wheel means the front could get well off the floor.

Most guy's in 20's would judge 95% of (sub)compacts are underpowered (I certainly did - yet I drove a beetle for a time). This vehicle is right in the norm in power/weight & 0-60 with millions of small cars on the road today.

I agree that a motorcycle shop seems the right fit for servicing this vehicle. It will be less complex than a BMW K1600GTL. And easier access for much work.

Given the size & weight, I would guess they might just crate them and throw them in/on a semi trailer.
dtpetty

Postby dtpetty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:51 pm

When I first saw that 68,000 number it seemed way high to me. But then I considered that they might easily wind up with 5000+ folks putting up money before a prototype is even built. That's a strong commitment refundable or not. Many of my cohorts are very interested in the car, but would never send a deposit. I could see 10 times that reservation number with a very strong desire to buy the first year. When it gets on the road - who knows. It could become the next VW beetle. Time will tell,
dtpetty

Previous

Return to Elio Discussions