Motor Vehicle Registration

For technical and general questions and discussions related to the 2014 Elio

Motor Vehicle Registration

Postby bluedragonelio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:20 am

I read on the Elio FB pages that the company is trying to classify the Elio as a car for state DMV registrations, is this right. I hope that Elio remains in the motorcycle category so that we have access to the car pool lanes in many states. Why would it make a difference if it is classified as a car, it would just more to register it and insurance may be more. Anyone know for sure what Elio is doing and why?
bluedragonelio

Re: Motor Vehicle Registration

Postby rogwild » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:05 am

NO, NOT TRUE! Elio Motors has NO PLANS to try to change the classification (3-wheeled vehicles are MOTORCYCLES, by Federal definition), and the COST (development and production... due to Federal Regulations for automobiles) would GREATLY increase. They are trying to get all State Laws to reflect NO Helmet or special MC license endorsement for 'car-like' (steering wheel, seatbelt, fully enclosed); 'AutoCycle' vehicles.
rogwild

Postby robert407 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 am

I hope that the Elio doesn't change their classification because In the state of Florida trikes are classified motorcycles. I currently own a 250cc Viper trike and the insurance is only $70 a year, which includes roadside assistance.
robert407

Postby lt1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 am

robert407 wrote:I hope that the Elio doesn't change their classification because In the state of Florida trikes are classified motorcycles. I currently own a 250cc Viper trike and the insurance is only $70 a year, which includes roadside assistance.

They will not attempt to change the classification for the reasons stated previously. If the regs classifying trikes as motorcycles were not in effect, the Elio would not have been produced as a trike. The costs of compliance with automotive regulations make a startup auto manufacture almost an impossibility. As is, this has been and will continue to be, a difficult and challenging endeavor for Elio Motors.

Insurance is not cheap for motorcycles "because they are motorcycles". Your 250cc trike insurance is cheap because it is a low-speed, low-value, low-mileage, low-risk vehicle. Odds are you have no medical nor comp or collision for those rates. When you start insuring $30k motorcycles and/or high-performance bikes, you will find the rates much higher. The Elio will be (hopefully) inexpensive to insure because of the low replacement value, the lower risk of property damage, and perhaps for the expected safety rating. OTOH, rates will be higher because of the newness of the model, no statistics on 3-wheelers, and general insurance company caution. After a few years, the rates should be pretty predictable, but may be all over the board for early owners. Some companies insure motorcycles primarily by displacement, so they may just say: (drivers record/stats) + (900cc displacement) +($7k cost) = rate. Most companies insure cars and motorcycles separately, so multi-vehicle discounts may not apply. Pretty much every company and every state does things somewhat differently, so blanket statements simply won't help a lot in this regard.
lt1

Postby ElioJay » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:06 pm

lt1 wrote:
robert407 wrote:I hope that the Elio doesn't change their classification because In the state of Florida trikes are classified motorcycles. I currently own a 250cc Viper trike and the insurance is only $70 a year, which includes roadside assistance.

They will not attempt to change the classification for the reasons stated previously. If the regs classifying trikes as motorcycles were not in effect, the Elio would not have been produced as a trike. The costs of compliance with automotive regulations make a startup auto manufacture almost an impossibility. As is, this has been and will continue to be, a difficult and challenging endeavor for Elio Motors.

Insurance is not cheap for motorcycles "because they are motorcycles". Your 250cc trike insurance is cheap because it is a low-speed, low-value, low-mileage, low-risk vehicle. Odds are you have no medical nor comp or collision for those rates. When you start insuring $30k motorcycles and/or high-performance bikes, you will find the rates much higher. The Elio will be (hopefully) inexpensive to insure because of the low replacement value, the lower risk of property damage, and perhaps for the expected safety rating. OTOH, rates will be higher because of the newness of the model, no statistics on 3-wheelers, and general insurance company caution. After a few years, the rates should be pretty predictable, but may be all over the board for early owners. Some companies insure motorcycles primarily by displacement, so they may just say: (drivers record/stats) + (900cc displacement) +($7k cost) = rate. Most companies insure cars and motorcycles separately, so multi-vehicle discounts may not apply. Pretty much every company and every state does things somewhat differently, so blanket statements simply won't help a lot in this regard.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/06/do-i-really-want-one-of-these-kandi-viper-250cc-reverse-trike/ The Kandi Viper trike actually is priced very close to the Elio, I think the biggest driver for the low insurance rates on it may be the 250CC scooter status. It was significantly less expensive for me to insure my 250 cc Honda Reflex scooter than my 900 cc Honda Pacific Coast, even though both cost exactly the same. I would guess the Elio to be on the higher side of motorcycle insurance because it will see much higher mileage and be looked at like a "daily driver" verses a limited use vehicle. One company that does allow bundling of cycles with everything from boats and motor homes to cars and trucks is Progressive. Even W/O bundling, they were the lowest rates I found on my cycles.
Let's Go Eliooooooooo!!!!
"Silicon Valley" CA, U.S.A.
ElioJay
Site Admin

Postby lt1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks for the link. I read 250cc trike, and didn't bother to look it up. I should have. Interesting, but not something I would actually buy. It would be cool to get some feedback from an actual owner.

Looking a the price, design, mileage, engine, bodywork, country of origin, etc, I can understand the skepticism directed towards the Elio. In comparison, if the Viper is worth its price, the Elio will be the bargain of the decade. Compared to other scooters and motorcycles, the Viper pricing does not seem out of line.
lt1

Postby MeeLee1980 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 pm

In Miami, a 250cc motorcycle I had was also $75 per year, PIP only.
It was like $72 for regular PIP, and $3 more for raising the limit from $10k to $30k on damage covering.

On my VT750 the PIP went up to $120.
I know beyond 1Liter insurances go up considerably.
MeeLee1980

Return to Elio Discussions